Pages

Monday 9 January 2012

Freelance job - Walk cycles and Jumps

Thought it would be good idea to post this.

Recently, well over Christmas holidays I managed to find myself a freelance job!,  I had to design the characters, environment, props for a Iphone game. Originally the design of the game was a rabbit collecting carrots and the client wanted his game redesigned in a cartoon style, he liked my portfolio so I redesigned his character and a few animation cycles drawing influences from my favourite animator & cartoonist Genndy Tartakovsky & Stephen Silver.

We discussed his ideas, the intentions for the game and so on, the result? setting completely changed to an Arabian theme and so after a few designs the concept was changed to a little Arabic boy collecting salads.

Here are a few of the animation cycles I made for the game:


(Jump Cycle - jump to double jump)



(First Jump)

(Mid air Jump)




"highpoint"         "Contact/pass pos"           "highpoint"
(Run Cycle)


For the character I had to design the poses for the run & jump cycle, I only had a small frame count (6) so I had to pick out the key poses for the run cycle and jump to work; "Walking is simply the method of falling and catching ourselves as gravity pulls us down". I renembered this theory I learnt from one of the previous walk cycle lectures with Penny and I took three poses "Highpoint" "Contact" and "Pass pos" and created a stylised run cycle and I'd referenced the Animators Survival Kit too on run cycles. I did most of the design work in Illustrator, all in all it was worth the exsprience and to be paid too was quite a bonus!

No comments:

Post a Comment